Have you ever worked with stencils? If you love to transform surfaces, give stencils a try. They are a blast.
I was recently contacted by Stencil Revolution about working with their products. I love anything to do with fabric AND designing fabric, so thought it would be fun to try their stencils. Stencil Revolution has an amazing selection of high quality stencils – I especially loved the farmhouse, mandala and decor items. Go check them out!
I had a blank canvas tote in my stash and though their arrow stencil would be perfect. I placed the stencil in different directions around the tote and came up with a unique design. I added a single arrow to each strap. Initially I thought this was a big mistake. When I compared the side with the arrow on the straps vs the side that I hadn’t worked on – I realized the arrows gave the tote that extra touch it needed. AND the best part.. My husband saw the bag hanging at our front entry and thought I bought it!
Using stencils to design fabric is super easy. Here is the quick breakdown:
- Blank canvas tote or fabric
- Fabric paint
- Cardboard for protecting your work surface
- Masking tape
- Iron and ironing board
- Lay the fabric onto a flat work surface. Smooth any wrinkles out. Make sure there is something like cardboard or paper underneath to protect the work surface.
- Place the stencil onto the area and adhere the edges with masking tape. I like to use painters tape as it pulls of easy.
- Dip the sponge into the fabric paint, but don’t goop it on too much.
- Hold the stencil down with one hand and dab slightly. Make sure not to use too much paint, as it can run underneath and look messy.
- Work quickly dabbing away. Remember to dab lightly.
- Pull the stencil off and repeat as needed.
A little bit about Stencil Revolution:
- The company was founded in October 2016.
- They are located in Florida and all their stencils are cut in the USA.
- Co-founder Jacob ran stencilrevolution.com as a community and informational site for quite a few years. He decided to start producing stencils after the site’s popularity continued to grow.
- Stencil Revolution works with freelancers and also has in-house designers.
- Why create and sell stencils? Stencils are amazing!
Let me know how it goes! I was provided stencils for this post. All opinions are my own.