Sunday afternoon fun…
I have always been interested in screen printing and I love the look of graphic images that fade out, look stamped, spray painted or have a vintage feel.
A few years ago I came across the company Tsukineko. They have a wide selection of stamp pads for the craft industry and I fell in love with their VersaCraft ink pads and markers. They have a wide color selection to create beautiful fabric patterns that can be vibrant and bold or muted and monochromatic.
I have made yards and yards of my own printed fabric and have then sewn it into pillows, table runners, place mats, napkins, etc. This has also worked well for Tshirts and handbags.
One of my favorite projects was when I created “LOVE” handbag favors for my friend’s bridal shower. Using a small circular dot stamp, I stamped the word love on cotton canvas handbags. It was a very personal present for me to give for her shower and a unique favor for her guests to take away.
5 Easy steps to make the LOVE tote bag:
1) Prep your cotton totebag – wash the material to get the sizing out. Flatten out the surface area where you are going to stamp your design. Plan to work on a flat surface.
2) Select your ink color and stamp design. Find inspiring patterns to recreate. Start with a simple design.
3) Have scrap fabric ready – practice inking and stamping the design on practice fabric. You will need to figure out the right pressure for getting ink of the rubber stamp, as well as stamping the cotton surface. Practice a few times
4) Stamp away – have fun with this project.
5) Iron the stamped surface area to set the design.
That’s it – your personalized totebag is complete.