My sweet baby is nearing the crayon and drawing age. Time Flies. Seems like it was just yesterday that I was telling my husband we were pregnant.. I was a crafty kid, so it brings me great joy to think of all the fun things we will soon make together.
I was given a version of this crayon holder as a present and promptly lost it. With my little munchkin now picking up [ and eating crayons ], I thought it was time to make a new one. This one is from memory and I hope it does the original justice.
This is super simple to make and great for your purse or diaper bag. With summer travels, put a few pieces of paper in the car and you are good to go.
- Self / exterior fabric – the more colorful the better
- Lining / heavier fabric – I found cotton duck worked well. It gave the roll some stability. You could also use decorator weight fabric
- Ribbon, button
- Disappearing ink pen
- Sewing materials – scissors, thread, pins, needles
- Sewing machine, iron and ironing board
Pattern Drafting Materials:
To develop your pattern – draw a rectangle measuring 11″ W x 10″H. Shave off at the side top flap corners to suit your design scheme. I chose to make my corners angled, but you could also round the corners. Add 1/2″ seam allowances to all sides.
8 Easy Steps:
- Cut out your pattern pieces – 1 for the self and 1 for the lining
- Place right right sides together and pin
- Measure 4 1/4″ up from the bottom seam and insert ribbon. Make sure to insert so the ribbon length is facing inwards and square the ribbon with the side seam. As the image above, you want approx 1/2″ SA sticking out
- Place into sewing machine. Sew with a 1/2″ SA around the outside. Leave a 2-3″ opening at the bottom. Press. While pressing to set your seams, also turn the 2-3″ bottom opening and press the seam upwards. This will help when you later sew the opening closed.
- Pull the roll rightside out and press the seams again. Pin the bottom opening closed. Edgestitch along the entire bottom edge. Backstitch at each end
- Fold bottom upwards to measure 2 3/4″ in height. Press the fold. Now edgestitch along each side seam. This will make a little pouch. Backstitch at the top and bottom. At this time, you can also edgestitch along the top edge
- Place a measuring tape along the bottom. Using your disappearing ink pen and a ruler, mark at 1″ increments along the bottom seam. Place into your sewing machine and stitch following each ink line. You are now sewing the little spots for all the crayons. Make sure to backstitch at the top and bottom. Press
- Button – turn over to the backside. Place the button in the centre back area/near the vertical stitches. However, before sewing the button down, double check placement by rolling up the crayon roll. Handstitch the button in place.
Note – I chose not to use interfacing on the self fabric. I wanted the cotton fabric to have some give. As the roll gets used by little hands, the crayon slots will open up a little more.
That’s it… I hope you enjoy sewing the crayon roll for your little one. Happy sewing