I travel a lot. For the last few years, I have wanted to create mini collapsible fabric bowls to use in my hotel rooms. I’ve often thought they would be perfect travel companions and hold all my little stuff. I could keep one on the bedside table, one on the bathroom vanity and one by the TV or hotel room door. The bowls would be a drop spot for my earrings, car keys, room keys, chapstick, lipgloss.. When it’s time to hit the road, they would pack flat and not take up too much room in my luggage.
I finally had some down time and made a few bowls.
The pattern is available as a free download in my online store.
- Cotton Fabric -this is a great fat quarters project
- Ultra Firm Fabric Stabilizer – Pellon 71F Peltex 1-Sided Fusible
- Disappearing fabric ink pen
- Fabric glue
- Quilting ruler
- Sewing machine and related supplies
- Iron and ironing board
- Wonder clips – optional, use in place of pins
Let’s get sewing!
- Cut 2 fabric bowl pieces – 1 lining and 1 outside
- Cut stabilizer pieces
- Lay stabilizer pieces down onto the OUTSIDE fabric bowl pattern piece. Leave a scant 1/8″ gap between each piece. Remember to lay these on the backside of the fabric, place the rough/pebbly side facing down. Place a piece of fabric on top and press each small piece in place with a hot iron.
- Clip into all corner seam allowances. Turn and roll the seam allowances towards the backside/interfacing. Press in place with an iron. Use a fabric glue stick at the edges help hold in place.
- With wrong sides facing each other, place the fabric bowl pieces together. Adjust so that the seam allowances are even at all sides. Trace along the outside edge with a disappearing fabric pen.
- Place the outside fabric bowl piece to the side. Following the disappearing fabric pen line, turn and roll the towards the backside. This is similar to step 4, without having interfacing on the backside of the fabric. Press in place with an iron. Place the fabric bowl pieces together, wrong sides together. Press again with an iron.
- Pin at edges. Place into sewing machine and stitch together around outside edge. Take out of sewing machine. Gently fold along the gap between the interfacing. Using the disappearing fabric pen, draw a line in each gap. Draw all lines. Place into sewing machine and stitch following lines. Remember to backstitch when stopping at each edge.
- Cut 4 small pieces of Velcro, each measuring 1/2″. Pull apart and place at the corner pieces, as close to the top edge as possible. Pin in place if needed. Place into sewing machine and sew all Velcro in place.
That’s it! What do you think? Hard or easy to make?
There are so many uses! While I plan to bring them along for my travels, there are many options for around the home. We have these mini ABC books and the bowls hold them perfectly.
How about napkins for an upcoming party?
Don’t you just love the fabric I used? A few weeks ago I bought a Lapis Hipster by The RBD Designers for Riley Blake Designs fat quarter bundle. It’s the first time I bought a fat quarter bundle and it has been great having so many options for coordinating fabric in my stash!
Ps. Want to know the inspiration for the pattern? You’ll never guess what I used..Click here to see more.