Alright, after weeks of thinking, but no action..I sat my butt down and finally finished sewing my toddler’s Halloween costume. So here it is.. Hello Luke Skywalker!
It took me awhile to get motivated this year. While I had been thinking about this costume for months, I was frozen at the thought of pattern drafting the flight suit. The thought of fitting the garment on a squirmming toddler almost had me throw in the towel. Then I had a brainwave.. Why not buy a pattern and alter it!? Umm Hello. Easy.
Another reason for the brain freeze, I had no idea how I was going to show the DIY steps. This would have added too much time to an already lengthy adventure. So instead, I’m showing images and comments on the garment pieces. If you have any questions, feel free to leave me a comment, I promise to get back to you.
- Butterick Pattern #3244 – this pattern has pieces for a 1 piece jumpsuit, a hood and boots [ optional – I didn’t make these]
- Cotton fabric – Orange, white and black
- White fleece
- Felt squares – Black, white, grey, blue, light blue, white and red
- Black and white velcro
- White gros grain
- Sewing machine and related sewing supplies
- Iron and ironing board
Orange Flight Suit:
I used the Butterick Spaceman Pattern for the flight suit. I added the flap pockets and a few tabs. On the sleeves I made sure to add a pocket for the communication cylinders [white pen looking things]. Black velcro down center front added the extra kick the flight suit needed [otherwise it looked like a prison inmate’s outfit.. As per my brother].
White Flak Vest [non geek term.. “White Bib”]:
I pleated white fabric [about the size of a fat quarter] and then measured it against Tanner’s chest to get the size of the vest. Pleated pieces were used on the front and back. I made a lining piece that was slightly larger and wrapped it from the back to cover the raw edges. The vest fits over his head with velcro straps that are adjustable at the back. I wanted this to come off easy.
Grey Chest Box:
The grey box was made from felt squares. I made it puffy by sandwiching a few extra layers of felt inside and then stitched it closed. A variety of felt colors were used for the buttons. I attached this box to the vest.. I know, technically not correct.. But for a toddler’s costume, the less hanging straps the better. At least from a cautious Mom’s point of view.. The grey chest box also pulled the vest down, so I placed a piece of velcro at the center back to secure the vest in place.
If you want to see the inspiration for this costume.. Click here. Happy Halloween 2013.