Halloween is just around the corner. Have you finished your costumes? Looking for another project to take on…
This is an easy project. You can make this spooky Halloween candy bowl in just a few short hours. So set aside 3 hours this Saturday and you can create a memory keeper to pull out and reuse for years to come. Plus, it’s a great project for Moms and kids to do together..
- Cotton canvas for exterior
- Printed cotton canvas for lining
- Black cotton fabric for the bats - 1 fat quarter will do
- Fusible Web – Try Pellon EZ Steam
- Interfacing – Pellon Shape Flex SF101 was used for this project. Using interfacing will give more substance to the fabric
- 1/2″ bias binding – homemade or store bought
- Sewing machine and sewing supplies
- Iron and ironing board
Great news!! Head on over to Pellon Projects. You can download a PDF tutorial for this project. The PDF includes step by step instructions and also 2 templates – a circle template for the bottom and also one for the bats.
Before we get started, cut the following pattern pieces [For this you need to go to Pellon and download the PDF for the circle and the bat template.]
- Exterior Fabric: Cut 1 bottom and 2 rectangles. The bowl side rectangle measures 15 1/8” x 5” and the strap rectangle measures 3”W x 22”L.
- Lining Fabric: You need to make the lining a little smaller so it isn’t too bulky inside the bowl. Reduce both the circle template and large rectangle by 1/8″. Not sure how to do this? Start on the circle. Using a ruler measure inwards 1/8″ and make a small dash mark. Repeat for the entire circumference of the circle. Trace the dash lines and you have the lining pattern piece. Do the same for the large rectangle and reduce 1/8″ on all sides.
Alright, let’s get sewing:
- Prepare your fabric. You have already cut the fabric, so you need to use interfacing and give it more structure. Cut the interfacing to size and iron to the backside of both the exterior and lining fabric
- Draw 9 bats on the smooth side of the EZ Steam paper. With the bats traced, now place the textured side of EZ Steam paper down onto black fabric. Press with an iron
- Cut out all your bats
- Lay the bats onto the side bowl rectangle. Watch your placement and leave at least 1” along the top edge and ½” along the bottom edge. You want the bats to be centered. Now peel the backing off of each bat stick in place. Press each in place to adhere. Applique around the edges of each bat. Using white thread, hand stitch the bat eyes
- Fold the circles and rectangle in half. Hand press to leave a fold mark for placement [ like a cut notch]. While the rectangles are folded in half, place into your sewing machine and stitch together with a 1/4″ seam allowance. Press seam allowances
- Using fold marks as placement, pin the bottom to the side. Place into sewing machine and stitch together with a 1/4″ seam allowance. Press. You now have your bowls completed. Turn the exterior bowl right side out and leave the lining right side in. Place lining inside and jiggle around to get the seams to match up. Press in place
- Pin bias tape to top edge and stitch down. Fold and turn down top edge 1”. Press down with an iron
- Sew your strap together. I have a great strap tutorial and you can check it out here. Place straps under top edge and pin in place. Stitch the straps down. Optional – Edgstitch around top edge